Sunday, September 11, 2011

Tomato Basil Cream Soup


I was looking for something to make for dinner the other night that would use things from our garden (tomatoes, leeks, basil) and made this yummy soup. It's from the Southern Living Complete Quick and Easy Cookbook, page 40.

4 shallots, diced (I just used a white onion)
2 garlic cloves (I just used one because McKay's not too hot on garlic)
1 celery rib (I didn't have one because it's supposed to be high on pesticides)
1/2 lb leeks, chopped
2 T oil (I used olive)
2 (14 1/2-oz) cans Italian-style tomatoes, undrained and chopped (I used fresh peeled)
1 T dried basil (I used 2 T fresh, chopped)
2 (14-oz) cans chicken broth (I used homemade turkey broth with boullion added)
1/4 t salt (I omitted this because the boullion has salt)
1 C whipping cream (I used 1% milk because I had no cream)
Garnishes: lemon slices, fresh basil sprigs

1. Cook first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a Dutch oven over low heat, stirring often, 20 to 12 minutes or until tender. (Do not brown.) Add tomatoes and dried basil; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 min. Add broth and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. (I didn't simmer it because I ran out of time.) Cool.
2. Process mixture, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides.
3. Heat in Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in 1 cup whipping cream; cook, stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated. (Do not boil.) Garnish if desired.

1 comment:

Annie said...

We had this tonight. It was very good. I also did not let it simmer for an hour.