Sunday, November 11, 2012

Swedish Christmas Rice

This was Grandma Johnson's recipe in the Johnson Family Favorites family cookbook from 1997.  It's probably what we eat at the Christmas parties, but I never put this much work into mine!  (See below).

6 C rice
2 quarts water
Salt to taste
1 quart milk
2 C sugar
2 cans evaporated milk
Cinnamon sticks, as needed
Almonds, as needed

Boil rice in salt water until tender.  Add sugar, milk, and cinnamon sticks (4 or 5).  Set in double boiler and cook for several hours until creamy.  Add canned milk and almonds during this time.  If rice gets too thick, add more milk and some water to keep rice at right consistency.  Serve with half and half and cinnamon-sugar.

This is the recipe mom gave me when I was at college.  I don't know where it came from, but it's easy:

3 C cooked rice
1 C milk
1/2 C evaporated milk + 1/4 C sugar + 1 T corn starch
1/2 t vanilla

Heat ingredients together in a pan.
Shake on cinnamon.

2 comments:

Darlene said...

The last time I fixed the traditional recipe for the rice (over the double boiler), it was really good. I can see why they continued to make it that way. It is more time consuming, though.

Mark and Jacquelyn Rowberry said...

I must be crazy. I always do it the old fashioned way.