Sunday, December 26, 2010

Easy Yummy Breadsticks

I got this recipe at RS, from Elizabeth Reimann.  This woman can bake delicious for an army.  I was amazed at how simple these were.

1 T yeast
3 1/2 C - 4 C flour
1/2 t salt
2 T sugar
1 1/2 C warm water

Soften yeast in warm water.  Mix sugar, salt, and 3 1/2 C flour.  Add to yeast mixture.  Blend well, adding remaining flour to form soft dough.  Knead 3 minutes.  Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.  Grease 12 x 17 cookie sheet.  Put dough in middle of pan and press out to edges. 

Combine and spread on top of dough:
1/4 C butter
1/4 C Parmesan
1/4 C Mayo
1/4 t parsley
1/4 t garlic salt

Cut down middle and across dough with pizza cutter.  Clip with scissors at the edges.  Let rise about 30 minutes or until almost double. 

Bake 350 for 20-25 min.  Cool in pan.  Makes 32 breadsticks.

I used SAF instant yeast and just combined all my dry ingredients then added the water and mixed for 3 minutes with my kneading paddle.  I only used 3 1/2 C flour and the dough was just right.  I used a pint mason jar to roll my dough to the edges.  I didn't have any Parmesan cheese, but I did have some Swiss I needed to get rid of, and it worked just fine.  I'm tempted to try cutting the topping ingredients in half to make a slightly healthier option.  I think these would still turn out great.

No comments: