Sunday, December 5, 2010

Pork Enchiladas

I got this recipe from my friend Natalie.  It tastes a lot like the sweet pork meat you can get at those Mexican places -- you know the ones.

In a slow cooker combine:
6 lb. pork roast
1 C brown sugar
1 C Worcestershire sauce
1 T dried oregano
2 t ground ginger
2 t salt
1 T chile powder
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder

Cook overnight on low.  Remove roast, cool, and shred.  Drain liquid and place shredded pork back in slow cooker.  Add 28 oz. enchilada sauce and 1 1/2 C brown sugar.  Mix and cook on low for several more hours.

In a baking dish place corn tortillas filled with shredded pork, enchilada sauce, and cheese.  Roll tortillas as best you can and line them in rows in the pan.  Pour more enchilada sauce and cheese on top.  Bake about 25 minutes at 350 or until heated through.

When I made this I cut the recipe in half, used a bunch of random pork I had in the freezer (cubes, chops, whatever), and decreased my sugar.  Still tasted sweet enough.  I made enchiladas, and we also made taco salads with beans, cheese, Spanish rice, lettuce, Ranch dressing.

1 comment:

Annie said...

We had this tonight and it was really good! Here's what I did:
-we also halved the whole recipe
-I also did a little less sugar than it says, but could have done even less!
-I put the 3 lb roast with seasonings in the crockpot in the morning on low and cooked it for about 6 hours. Then, I shredded the pork and drained the juice. I returned the pork to the crockpot, added a 10 oz can of enchilada sauce plus the brown sugar (try only 1/3 c. or less!) I let it cook again for probably about 2 hours.
-I filled 7 corn tortillas with the meat (about 2-3 Tbs in each tortilla) and put them in greased 9x9 pan. Next time put a little enchilada sauce on the bottom because they got hard on the bottom. I then poured about 1/3 c. enchilada sauce on top and spooned some sour cream over each tortilla. Then smothered them with cheese (prob about a cup...I forgot to add cheese with the meat, but this worked great).
-We thought it was really good. I didn't make much because I wanted to know how it would turn out. We have tons of meat left and will be doing lots more with it. YUM!