- 4 cups each 1-inch cubed French bread and prepared cornbread
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 pound well-spiced turkey or sweet Italian pork sausage, bulk or links (casings removed), broken into clumps
- 1 cup chopped red onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried sage leaves, crumbled
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes, quartered
- 1 cup defatted chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the bread cubes in a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper to taste. Spread the bread cubes on two baking sheets and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly toasted, shaking pans occasionally. Return to the bowl.
2. Brown the sausage in a heavy pan over medium heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage to the bowl, discarding any fat. Place the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in the pan and sauté the onions, celery, garlic, and sage over medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until wilted, stirring often. Combine with the bread cubes, cranberries, pecans, and prunes.
3. Drizzle the broth over the mixture to moisten as desired, then toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Bake, covered with aluminum foil, in an oven-to-table dish at 350°F for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve from the dish.