Monday, October 8, 2012

Bixia Spring/Egg Rolls

At RS the other night we learned to make egg rolls from this cute little Chinese lady.  I then made them for the family on Sunday, but I used my memory for the recipe! I only forgot the corn starch and they still turned out super.  I found the real recipe in my e-mail:

2 c onion, grated 
2 c cabbage, grated
1 c carrots, grated
1 lb cooked ground pork*
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 egg 
3 tbl corn starch

Roll 2 spoonfuls of mixture in spring/egg roll pastry**, seal end with a whipped egg mixture.   (To roll, put the egg roll wrapper on a flat surface with a point toward you.  Drop the mixture near the tip closest you.  Roll the wrapper up about a third.  Fold in the 2 sides, then continue rolling, leaving the top point exposed a couple inches.  Rub some egg on that tip, then roll the egg roll up to seal.)

Deep fry for 15 min at 420 degrees***
Turning them occasionally so not to stick.

*I used home-made ground turkey sausage and it tasted great.  I swear the Chinese lady's pork was raw, not cooked, too.  I did cook my ground turkey with my onion, and mixed the cooked mixture with my raw cabbage and carrots.  Everything was very well cooked when I pulled it out of the oven

**I tried to find egg roll wrappers at the store, but found only spring roll wrappers.  They were quite a bit different than egg roll wrappers.  I was going to take pictures of the process to post, but they didn't turn out pretty at all because of the wrappers.

***I baked mine in the oven at 350.  I sprayed my dish with Pam, then brushed the egg rolls with olive oil.  I cooked them on one side for 15 minutes, then turned and cooked for 15 more.  We weren't quite ready to eat so I left them in the oven a bit longer.  I think I could have had the oven at 400, and it would have been a little quicker.

No comments: